The last five years have seen consistent growth in membership across the district and an ever-increasing range of activities being offered to young people.
By virtue of the fact that you are a leader or parent you are eligible to stand as (or nominate someone to stand) a member of the District Scout Executive Committee. For the coming year, we are particularly keen to hear from people with skills, experience or an interest in the following area(s):
- District Sections (6-25) – ensuring that funds are best-used to support the 6-25 programme
- Finance & Fundraising – to include scrutiny of applications to the “Adventure” & “International” funds
- Minibus – to support the minibus committee and report on the maintenance and finances
- Property & Equipment – to ensure equipment and buildings are well-managed, financed and insured
- Public Relations/Development – to lead on our external promotional activities and recruitment
- Scout Shop – to support the Scout Shop manager and report on the finances and operations
We are looking to elect four Executive Committee Members to serve for a year until May 2019 in addition to four people nominated by our District Commissioner – ideally responsibility for each area above will be shared by two or three people on the committee.
All members of the District Executive become Charity Trustees and meet to support the District Commissioner and Scout Groups, promote the development of safe scouting, raise funds and administer the District’s finances, appoint sub-committees where required and attend to the District’s own administration.
The Executive meets approximately 6 times a year. It is not a uniformed role and you need no previous experience. In line with the National Association’s aims we do seek for some nominees to represent the young people in our movement and therefore particularly welcome nominations of adults aged between 18 and 25.
This letter is to invite you to stand for election yourself or to nominate another member of the Council (with their agreement) that you believe will add value to the District and carry out the role above effectively. The election happens at the Annual General Meeting which will be on Thursday 24th May.
To make a nomination please complete the form at www.hemel-scouts.co.uk/exec before midnight on Sunday 20th May.
If you would like to have an informal chat about the role please call me on 07554 997144 or to read more information about the role of the District Executive Committee please see the fact sheet that can be found at: http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/facts/pdfs/fs330078.pdf
Thank you for considering joining us,
Chairman of the Hemel Hempstead District Scout Executive Committee.