Scout/Explorer Leaders – please distribute to the members of your sections ASAP as the deadline is tighter than usual and Bushcraft is always popular and books up fast.
DEADLINE IS FRIDAY 15th DECEMBER.
Please note: EVERYONE interested must register their interest including those on the current course (see below).
Spaces are limited to 24 newcomers this year, there are no restrictions on those continuing or returning.
From Baden Powell’s initial ideals and Chief Scout Bear Gryll’s TV popularity, invitation to be part of this ever popular group. The course is constantly evolving, adding in new skills, new equipment, it just gets better and better.
- Participate in the practical side of woodcraft and backwoods skills, camping without a tent.
- Work in own age groups; scouts, explorers, adults & leaders.
Parents may join in too as long as they are DBS through Scouting.
It is fundamentally:
- Designed for anyone from ‘Scouts (must be over 11.5 on January 1st 2024) to Adults’ in the District.
- Fun for all, no previous bushcraft experience required.
- You need to have camped under canvas previously (with your own scout group).
- Not requiring specialised equipment to take part as this is provided.
- Allows you to try out something you have never done before and be more self sufficient.
- Some of the many skills you may wish to try out:
- Make a shelter from ‘tarp’ or natural materials and sleep in it.
- Using a Knife, Axe and Saw in the Bushcraft way.
- All you need to know about fires and starting them without a match.
- Identifying and collecting wild foods.
- Making gadgets from natural materials.
- How to collect and make safe drinking water.
- Using and sleeping in a hammock
- Opportunity for Scouts and Explorer Scouts to gain their Survival badge
Dates for next year are in the attached flyer.
If you wish to take part in this popular group for you will need to register or re-register (if existing member):
- Register your interest on-line only by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Give your name (those taking part), date of birth (if under 18), scout group, address, contact Tel Nos, plus participants email address if they wish to use it / guardians email address, and we will be in touch to confirm your place / payment details.
John & the bushcraft team