I know many of us are excited to start getting back to “normal” over the coming weeks and months – albeit I appreciate that everyone will want to do this at their own pace based on the individual circumstances.
Looking ahead, we have some interesting work to be done in various areas to provide opportunities to young people and/or better support our adult volunteers. I thought I would summarise the opportunities ahead of sending out individual emails about each one over the next couple of weeks.
If any take your fancy, please email me back and we can chat through what might be involved.
- Scout Shop staff – manning the scout shop on Tuesday evenings (either weekly, two-weekly or four-weekly) to make sure young people can buy their uniforms and leaders have access to badges!
- Adventurous activity permits – with limited opportunity to log any time spent hillwalking, climbing, sailing etc since Autumn 2019 we will need a concerted plan to support adults who wish to renew/apply for adventurous activity permits to do so. Especially as we begin planning for our re-scheduled visit to Lochearnhead sometime in the next 3-5 years (date TBC).
- Jamboree promo team – in the Autumn term it will be time to select our participants for the 2023 World Scout Jamboree – before that we will need to visit each troop & unit to ensure every age-eligible Scout/Explorer is aware of the opportunity
- Scouts/Explorers transition – a team to promote Explorer Scouting to Scouts approaching the time to move up to Explorers, liaising with Scout Leaders about the right time to approach them and administering the membership process.
- Programme support – Covid (specifically “zoom Scouting” has shown how useful it is to share ideas between groups. I would like to develop this by collating programme ideas and sharing them across the district, as well as identifying and promotion places for sections to visits and engaging visitors (when all that’s allowed, of course!). I think there’s an opportunity to tie this in with our district badge days to ensure these complement your weekly programmes as best as possible.
- Event admin – we’re looking to move most district event bookings to a “self-service” online to make life easier for leaders and want a group to help test the proposed system… no ongoing involvement.